Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's your view? Share it!

A month ago, I was listening to DJ Mo's K-Bee morning show. The question was..." Do you know of somebody aged 15-35 who's not into internet? Not exactly this but meant like this...and there were callers commenting with different views about those who doesn't like the internet and is basically enjoying other things. May sinabi si Mo sa isang caller...hindi ko exactly ma-recall how he delivered it but hindi ko kinaya yong comment. It might be too much excitement about the topic and the desire to give a palong palo statement. Hindi ko alam.

It was for a husband na nagsabing asawa niya wala man lang e-mail...and Mo said..."and you intend to be with her for the rest of your life? (sort of like that, ganun yong dating) I dont know what he meant by that line, pero kung tama ang pagkakaintindi ko....I dont know what to say.

Is internet really that big, that if you know someone who's not into it , it would eventually make him/her less of a person?

Priorities differ. It's a personal decision. If Mo's life is all about the internet, (by the way, he said he has a new Apple Computer which he wasn't able to turn off for a week since he bought it) and nobody commented about that, then wala naman sigurong dahilan para mag comment siya ng ganun sa asawa nung caller niya.  (Personally kung ama ng anak ko nasa internet lagi at hindi na naaalala yong anak nya...then he's not a good father...Im not referring to MO, but the situation) I think pag nasa radyo tayo, we have to be responsible for what we have to say. Being on a Radio specially on a talk show like that is not a privilege of being able to say what we wanted to say.  We have responsibilities to take for being able to talk about issues without influencing the public of our own personal view.  If we think our view is adorable, then maybe it is good to set a reasonable doubt that somehow to others it is not. we should think of another way to say it.

We cannot just assume. We have around 88 to 90 million heads with 88 to 90 million ideas or more spinning around the world of logic. If we say, opinion ko 'to and nobody has the right to say I'm wrong then you're definitely wrong. Basically because, you blurted out an opinion to outweigh somebody else's opinion. In this case kasi, as a mother I can see the reason bakit hindi nag iinternet yong asawa nung caller. That is because she wants to focus on her family and her family's priorities, or it could be hindi niya feel yong internet. Who knows? Kaya nga, it is too fragile to judge her kasi we don't know the person. Sabihin na natin na hindi ganun yong ibig sabihin ni MO. But what could it be? I'm a listener to that program. I become too familiar with Mo's view. Malamang sa hindi yong kutob ko is in line dun sa mga hirit niya. ( Hi, Mo! peace tayo) but I cannot just sit, listen and make it pass. (sabihin ni Mo, ok you may have your one minute of fame by writing about me hehehe) I was once a broadcaster. I have had full eight to ten years of learning what is and what is not in the industry. Media plays an important if not the most important role in the society. It could make or break us.

The biggest challenge of parents nowadays is how to set studies as the main priority not the internet. Dj Mo, said " Internet is life" Yes, it could be true. However, saying that over the Radio,  would somehow change outlooks. Hindi natin maexplain fully kung bakit natin nasabi yon. Teenagers are so vulnerable. They are vulnerable to what they see, they are also vulnerable to technology as how they are vulnerable to peer pressure, what's in and what's not. Gone are the days na ang uso is what's right and what's not. Basta ba gusto ni bessy, gusto ko na rin. In Korea, the government is focusing now on how to change public's view of the internet It is their main challenge, and I can feel that it is slowly happening here in the Philippines. Korea is ten years ahead of us in this thing.

I have talked to one Korean mother, she is my student in one of the Language Schools here in the Philippines...she said and I quote " I cannot even get my son to play outdoor. I want them to experience my happy childhood, but they can't, simply because they can't see anyone of their age playing outside too." This is very sad reality. Socialization can be processed using the internet but how very little it could be compared to personal interaction.

The reason I want to bring this topic up in my own little way (late na nga 'to eh) is a personal awareness of the issues involving teenagers hooked to the internet, staying in the internet cafe for three days just eating nothing but noodles. I know of a place like that in Cagayan de Oro and even here in Manila. I have to admit, I am one of the avid fan of the internet especially facebook, mainly because I miss my family and friends. However, I know my limitation. I don't stay that long. So, the bottom line there is respect to those who are not using it. Let us respect parents' decision to say to their children that internet can ruin their lives. It maybe true or not, the thing is we respect the kind of life they are leading, the kind of path they are choosing for their children.

Till next note!
Barbara
(edit nyo na lang)

No comments:

Post a Comment